Sunday, November 9, 2008

Freedom on Wheels!


I have had my power wheelchair for about a mont now and I couldn't even begin to describe the tremendous difference it has made in my life already. I no longer have to have someone tke me to every appointment because now I can go myself as long as it is within a reasonable distance or I can get there by bus.

Now, if I want to for coffee I can - I don't have to ask Kelly to go which would mean she might drag herself to the car regardless of how much pain she was in, just to fulfill my wish. Now I can go and get her a coffee! I can pick up milk or bread when we need it. I can browse around the mall - something I haven't done since 1990 when I was first injured. The list of freedoms I have now would just go on and on but I'm sure you can imagine how wonderful ithas been.

They are still making adjustments to the chair for optimal comfort and functionality but they can come here to do it and it doesn't take my chair away from me.

My pain has not improved at all. My bladder pain has become so bad that I try to avoid public washrooms because I can't help but scream sometimes. There was one day recently when I said afterward that having a baby was less painful than having that particular 'pee'. If the lining of my bladder is sufficiently irritated the pain as my bladder is trying to empty completely can be beyond description. It doesn't take much to irritate it either, certain food and especially drinks will do it every time. For the most part, I am able to avoid these but some are favorites and sometimes, well, I just HAVE to have a large Ice Capuccino from Tim Hortons or a can of Diet Coke. I pay dearly for the indulgence and sometimes it is even worth it.

My lymphedema is causing some worry because my skin isn't in very good condition but I have to wear compression stockings and my skin can't really 'breathe' through them. Getting an infection in the trapped lymph fluid can lead to dire consequences. At the very least, the infection is confined to the fluid, at the very worst - the infection enters the bone and amputation is the only option. Skin breakdown can also lead to severeinfection and amputation so you can imagine that I notice every little spot and every bit os soreness.

I find it so hard to sit in one position so I have to get away from the computr for a while. Please leave a comment - I would like to know if anyone reads this.

No comments: